Recipe: Chinese Style Eggplant and Kangkong

That was December, I remember when my Ate (elder sister)  was asked to visit her Chinese friend and have a dinner. I went with her, and what I got were all SPICY FOOD. However, it is that kind of spicy that you will always look for. As a person who loves oriental dishes, these are the things I do really prefer eating. Hand me down those steaks and stuff but I would still go Oriental than Western. I don't know, but for me, the magic of their dish is just love or maybe I haven't tried the best steak or fish and chips in town. Do not judge me.


All I have in the fridge were eggplants and freshly cut kang-kong from the farm. Believe me this is so amazing. It took me 2 years to realize the ingredients I have tasted or maybe I already did realize but damn, took me 2 years to do it until I was hungry. So let's start...



Ingredients:

3 tbsp cooking oil
1 - 2 minced garlic
1 minced onion 
2 Eggplants (cut in to a parallel)
1 bunch of Kang - kong
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp chili oil (I prefer the ones with sesame oil if none add the next ingredient below)
1 tbsp sesame oil


Marinade:
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp patis (fish sauce)
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp sugar 

First marinade the egg plant for 15 minutes that's enough for it to be flavorful. Do not throw your mixture we will use that for later.

In a hot pan or wok, add the oil, add onion until cooked, add your garlic too. Carefully fry the eggplants until cooked. Now is the best time to add the marinade mixture and water, simmer until cooked. Do not be afraid if the eggplant will be too soft, that's the texture we are looking for. Why? Because I have not seen any crispy eggplant. And by experience the softer it is the more flavor it can get. The eggplant will absorb everything and the sauce will definitely thicken. If you are already happy with the result add your kang kong make sure you washed it and add your chili oil with sesame (or chili oil and sesame oil). Add according to the hotness you are looking for. Then, serve.

PS, I make my own chili garlic oil so feel free to use with the brand in it, 


I promise that this will taste Chinese-y. Give it a try and post it, don't forget to use the #AraGwinsKitchen hashtag.


Ara Gwin




Comments

Popular Posts